In the introduction Graff displays an instance where he mixes in academic and colloquial language when he writes “What doesn’t occur to us, though, is that schools and colleges might be at fault for missing the opportunity to TAP INTO SUCH STREET SMARTS AND CHANNEL THEM into good academic work.” (297)In this statement he discusses the idea that the kids with street smarts (that are lacking book smarts) may re directs some of the street smarts to academic work. He uses the terms “tap into” which to me, is something I would say in conversation rather than an essay but this mix is effective because I feel like I can understand this section a little better than a long drawn out explanation of redirecting knowledge.
“I grew up torn, then, between the need to prove I was smart….and the needs to impress the hood.” Talks about how he was afraid to show he was intelligent.
No comments:
Post a Comment